Today, we have the lovely Melissa speaking to us about how she met her partner Shaun and the challenges shes had to face being a 2020 Bride.
- Where did you meet your partner?
In a bar on a night out in Wimbledon village
- How long had you been together before you became engaged?
- Can you remember an exact point when you looked at your partner and thought, “he’s the one!”
Yes, on a holiday where we were travelling round Italy, our first stop was Rome. I thought it was the most beautiful place and I always say when we went there I knew he was “the one”
- Where and how did the proposal take place? Was it expected or a complete shock?
He took me to Venice and proposed in the middle of St Marks square on the way to dinner. I had a feeling he would propose as we went over our 5 year anniversary. I didn’t expect him to do it out and about in public though as I get very embarrassed!
- What does marriage mean to you?
marriage to me means a life long commitment , to agree to disagree, work through the hard times and being each others best friends.
- Did you both have the opportunity to meet each others families before the engagement?
Yes, I met Shaun when I was 18 so we were living at home and used to stay at each others houses before moving out.
- Have you always had a set idea of how you’d like your wedding day or are you open to ideas?
I always knew I wanted a barn wedding. I usually love alot of glamour, so a castle would be an obvious choice , but I wanted it to be like an understated glamour. I love the simplicity and natural beauty of barns.
- Are you planning a small, intimate ceremony or a large wedding?
Our wedding will be around 120 to the day and another 30 or so to the evening.
- Have you enjoyed wedding planning so far? What’s been the most enjoyable part? What’s been the most stressful part?
I did enjoy wedding planning. We had a 2 year, 2 month engagement. Initially I wanted a speedy wedding but I feel that giving more time meant I could book things when I was “in the mood to look”, and had more options of what I wanted. The most enjoyable part was going dress shopping, that’s the princess day! Because we had alot of time, I actually enjoyed being organised and had a spreadsheet of everything, so the experience wasn’t stressful. But, having our wedding postponed from June 2020 to march 2021 because of the pandemic was the most stressful part, because you are not in control of the situation.
- What are your future plans together?
We already live together in a flat, but in the next 2 years we would like to move into a house, and probably in the next 3 years have a baby
Thank you for taking the time to speak with us today! We are so sorry to hear that you’re having to change your wedding date to next year but believe your wedding day will be celebrated twice as hard!
Lots of love x